Friday, February 8, 2013

MUFA's

MUFAs...whatfa's?  Poor Jeff, he knows he's always in trouble when I'm watching another Dr. Oz show with pen and notebook in hand.  Our latest additions to our healthy diet are MUFAs.  MUFAs (pronounced moo-fah) are monounsaturated fatty acids, plant-based fats found in some of the world's most delicious foods—avocado, nuts and seeds, oils, olives, and dark chocolate! Studies show that these good-for-you fats enhance heart health and protect against chronic disease. And now the latest research shows that these dietary superstars may even target fat where it's hardest to lose—in your belly!  You have to eat MUFA's in moderation.  If not, the alternative title for this blog post would be "My healthy diet is making me fat!"    Here's a list of MUFA's and the calories for each.
NUTS/SEEDS - 2 Tbsp, raw or dry roasted unsalted, 1 cup for edamame
 
  • Almonds - 164
  • Almond butter - 202
  • Brazil nuts - 186
  • Cashews - 163
  • Cashew butter - 188
  • Hazelnuts - 178
  • Macadamia nuts - 203
  • Pecans - 196
  • Peanut butter, natural, crunchy - 188
  • Peanut butter, natural, smooth - 188
  • Peanuts - 166
  • Pine nuts - 191
  • Pictachios - 161
  • Pumpkin seeds - 148
  • Soybeans, boiled (shelled) - 298
  • Sunflower seeds - 165
  • Sunflower seed butter - 186
  • Tahini (sesame seed paste) - 178
  • Walnuts - 185
OILS 1 Tbsp
 
  • Canola oil - 124
  • Flaxseed oil - 120
  • Olive oil - 119
  • Peanut oil - 119
  • Pesto sauce - 80
  • Safflower oil - 120
  • Sesame oil - 120
  • Sunflower oil - 120
  • Walnut  oil - 120
OLIVES - 10 for olives, 2 Tbsp for tapenade
 
  • Black olives - 50
  • Black olive tapenade - 88
  • Green olives - 50
  • Green olive tapenade - 54
AVOCADO - one quarter cup
 
  • Avocado, California - 96
  • Avocado, Florida - 69
CHOCOLATE - one quarter cup
 
  • Semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips - 207

MUFA's are a major part of the Mediterranean Diet.  We bought black olive tapenade and pesto at Costco.  We always have Costco's mixed nuts on hand as well as dark chocolate and avocado.  A typical MUFA meals has 3 oz of lean protein, 1 complex carb, unlimited veggies and 1 MUFA.  Each meal should be 350 calories or less.  Don't even get me started on PUFAs!

Update on the boys... Ryan is feeling better but Jacob is still running a temperature.  He doesn't quite understand the concept of a fever.  He keeps saying it's hot in the house.  He was at the doctor on Thursday and they say it's not the flu.  Not sure how they came to that conclusion.  Hopefully they'll both be better after the weekend of staying warm and cozy at home.

11 comments:

  1. And here I thought at my age I couldn't learn new words. LOL! Never heard of MUFAs or PUFAs.. Never realized Nuts, Seeds, Oils, Olives and Dark Chocolate I eat a lot of contained MUFAs. As you can tell, I don't watch or really pay attention to Dr. Oz. I must say I enjoyed this learning experience Darylynn. (All joking aside, thanks for the info my friend).

    Right now I'm waiting on "Nemo" (can't believe they named a snow storm!) to arrive. We're expecting a blizzard type nor'easter with up to 18 inches and high winds and possible power outages. :-{

    Praying the boys will get well soon. Have a lovely and peaceful weekend my friend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Friday Darylynn,
    Very interesting healthy diet. I like it all except for chocolate never have been a fan of that sweet at all. I did catch a few minutes of the diet show with the shots he thinks works a few days ago. I think the ones Lindora give? Happy to hear Ryan is feeling better. Hope Jacob is better soon. Have a wonderful weekend. Hugs, Dru

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your latest nutrition lesson. I'm a Dr. Oz watcher too. Saved your list & plan to pick up some MUFA's on Sunday.

    Glad the boys are doing a little bit better. Hope all is well by Monday.

    Happy w/e. Hugz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, I have tears in my eyes coz of MUFA! I read "muffa" the first time, and it means "mold" in Italian. Now it makes more sense, haha! The Mediterranean Diet is just great, but the only oil I'd recommende is olive oil.
    Happy to hear Ryan is feeling better. Hope Jacob is better soon. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Flat Belly Diet (I have the book) talks about and uses MUFA's in their diet. I have tried their 4 day detox diet (which really helps you stop feeling bloated) but could never follow their every day diet... their calories for each day were like 1600-1800 a day, which I can't lose on. I have to go to 1200 if I want to see a weight loss!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Darylynn!
    Glad Ryan is better, hope Jacob is better by now.
    I love to watch Dr. Oz, this MUFA info is awesome.
    Have a great Friday/weekend!
    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Darylynn, Glad he is better. Flu is usually associated with severe headache and sometimes vomiting and diarrhea. Also flu hits you in minutes unlike a cold that can take a day or so to develop. You feel a cold coming on but the flu hits you like a ton of bricks.
    Thanks for the MUFA info!
    Good to know!
    Have a spiffy weekend.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. just popping in to leave a pawprint. Hope the boys are both getting better now.

    have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read back on your post, I like the make up tips that was funny stuff. I love those foods on the list. I just lost 5 lbs so I am doing eating things on that list for sure. I like the super foods as well that is a great list too.
    Sorry to hear the boys were sick with the flu. Everyone in my family has had the flu except me this year. I have not had it and I am starting to get worried as to why? when? and if?
    The candy in the care package to the boys I am sure was great to see for their sick little eyes poor things. Have a great weekend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. I stopped by the other day and "borrowed" your MUFA list. I already eat or use a great deal of what's on there, but I eat sunflower seeds in much greater quantities! LOL Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your .com-ment!