I don't know why but this story reminded me of "The Grand Canyon Skywalk." HERE'S a video of it. Do you think you'd like to walk on it? I think I could do it despite being afraid of heights.
Thursday, March 8, 2012
Rock Star
This is another of those "only in LA stories." A 340 ton boulder is being transported nightly across the city to it's final destination at the LA County Museum of art where it will be installed as a piece of art called "The Levitated Mass." The 22 foot tall granite rock is in the middle of a 105 mile journey. The trailer carrying it has 196 wheels and is traveling at the rate of about 5 miles per hour. Crowds are actually coming out each night to cheer it on and follow it along it's route. I never did understand those people who follow parades. Today, they even had a party for it in Long Beach. They called it, "I Want to Rock with You." There were games, food and, of course, rock music. When it is in place at the art museum, it will be suspended and look like it's floating in air. Don't think I'll be in a hurry to walk under it! Here's a photo of the rock on it's journey.
Labels:
Only in LA,
Photos,
Things and Stuff
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Interesting story! You, afraid of heights?? didn't you like climb that huge rock?? hmm :o)
ReplyDeleteI am trying to get back into blogging. I posted last night!
there's a Northern saying here :'There's nowt as strange as folk', which would fit perfectly for the people who like to watch the slow moving rock, or have a party for it!
ReplyDeleteBut, in fairness, it's not every day you see a massive rock moving along a busy road, so it's something to behold.
No. I would not be standing beneath it either. Can just picture a not so funny Tom & Jerry incident with that!
xx
Wow, now that's a rock! I'll bet it's going to look awesome when they have it all set up, though. We watched a show about Grand Canyon Skywalk a while back. Was fascinating. So cute how Jacob's picked up the ohhh yeahh phrase :) Yes, I am missing Pet Society for sure. I love that little game :). Only about 3 on my friend list play, though lol. Have an awesome day!
ReplyDeleteSaw the rock story on Fox,it is huge! I agree I wouldn't walk under it. I got my blog list done. Thanks for the help. We took a trip to the Grand Canyon in 09 as JD had never seen it. He would of loved the Skywalk, but it was to far over west. I am like you, though afraid of heights I think I could go on it. *hugs*
ReplyDeleteLOL! Only in LA can a float boulder be considered a work of art!! ;-} As for the Grand Canyon Skywalk, NO WAY on earth would I ever walk on it. My fear of heights keeps me away from many high places. Just watching the video made me dizzy. LOL!
ReplyDeleteHugs my friend.
Totally crazy stuff in LA. My girlfriend went to the Grand Canyon and she walked on that walk. Pretty brave I'd say!
ReplyDeleteLOL, That's pretty funny that they are calling a rock a piece of art but whatever floats their boat or in this case, boulder. lol
ReplyDeleteThat walk over the Grand Canyon looks fun!
Have a great evening! *hugs*
we thought of taking a drive to see it last weekend... not for the rock but to see the vehicle that's transporting it! that is the star of this excursion, IMO! and no.... i wouldn't be in any hurry to walk under it once it's in place at the museum!
ReplyDeleteOnly in L.A., if you know what I mean. Here you would go to the rock... and they would build a building around it.
ReplyDelete